Cake Smash Photography in Fort Lauderdale
Cake smash sessions are the perfect time to celebrate your baby turning ONE!
Our white setups are simplistic keeping the focus on your beautiful baby and their adorable reaction to smashing their cake. Wardrobe for your baby, cake and a splash bath is all provided for you.
Before your baby smashes their cake, we'll get some traditional portraits of your baby. Family and siblings are welcome to participate.
So, what goes into a cake smash and what's it all about?
Cake Smash sessions are best done in our studio in Cooper City, FL. The studio provides everything for your cake smash photoshoot including the cake, wardrobe and a splash bath.
This type of milestone photoshoot, includes your baby, a cake and no rules. These photo sessions create memories for both the parents and their children to look back on. This playful session can produce so many different outcomes, which truly creates a one-of-a-kind experience and photos you’ll cherish for years to come.
Babies are highly unpredictable. Sometimes they dive right in and sometimes they don’t want anything to do with the cake in front of them. No matter which way it goes, it’s really fun and we get some great shots to give you plenty of portraits of your baby and keepsake options.
Each session starts with some planning. Either with a color scheme or a theme, sometimes both. Sometimes we continue the colors and theme from the newborn session. This cake smash session was done in the same theme as her newborn photoshoot of bunnies and butterflies using pink and gray colors.
We start with pre-cake portraits in a sweet little outfit either provided by the studio or the parents before diving into the cake.
Here are some helpful tips for preparing for your cake smash session to be a success.
- Make sure baby is well rested and has a full-ish tummy.
- Bring a change of clothes.
- Bring their favorite small snack along with you (puffs, etc.). Sometimes they will not go for the cake at all, but if they see their favorite snack stuck onto the frosting on the back side of the cake, they usually will go right for it.
- If you really want your baby to dig in and eat their cake, a little prep might be needed if they haven’t had sugar prior to their smash. A few days prior, allow them to try small tastes of frosting or allow them to squish it into their hands so it’s not so new to them when they’re in front of the camera.
- If going for bright cake colors, please avoid red or brown frosting. Be advised that some colors will stain baby’s skin.
- If baby is teething, Orajel or Ibuprofen will be helpful.
How long does a cake smash photography session take? Cake smash sessions are roughly 20-30 minutes.
When’s the best time to schedule my baby’s cake smash photography session? We recommend scheduling your cake smash photoshoot to take place a month before your baby turns one. If you’re planning a first birthday party, the session should be 3-4 weeks prior to their party in order to have your images available for their invitations or prints ready to display at their party.
When will I receive my photos? We know that it is important for you to get your photos as close to your baby’s first birthday as possible. We will have several of our favorite photos ready available at your Big Reveal. If you purchase those… they are ready right then.
Book a Cake Smash Session
Genny Lynn Photography wants to serve as your baby’s first birthday photographer in South Florida. Contact us today so we can talk through your vision of your little ones first birthday photoshoot and turn it into a beautiful memory.